Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Federer Fund

Have I mentioned that I obsess about money?

I know that money can't buy happiness--or at least there is a point of diminishing returns--and I am past that amount. But despite this knowledge, I still buy into the illusion that my life would be better if I made just a little bit more.

It's not like I want to be a millionaire or anything. But I would like to have more money in savings. Especially now that I'm single. Because if I were to get fired or become disabled, I can't count on anyone to support me. And I can't save enough to have the recommended 6 month cushion--even if I were to cut back on every unnecessary expense.

Plus there are some luxuries I'd like to be able to afford. Research says that people are happier when they spend money on experiences rather than on things. I would love to be able to go to all of the Grand Slam tennis tournaments. And I would love to be able to semi-stalk Federer. Not in a creepy way. Just go to whatever event he's playing in, even if it's in Dubai or Halle, Germany.

Like many writers, I have the fantasy of having a best seller and making millions of dollars. But the more I read about publishing, the more I realize that this is about as likely as winning the lottery. But we all need something to fantasize about. Plus, someone has to win the publishing lottery. Why not me?

Sometimes it's hard to be patient and focus on writing these blog posts, which I make absolutely nothing for, knowing that it will probably take years before anything happens--if anything were to happen. Federer might be retired by then.

Don't get me wrong--I'm glad my blog is helping people. That's why I started it. But is some monetary compensation too much to ask for when I am potentially helping more people than I do in my real job?

I've been brain-storming some ways that I can make money from my blog now, while Federer is still playing. You know how when you go on a tour and the guide tells you at the end that tips are greatly appreciated? I could tell readers that if they liked the psychological tour provided by this post, they can make a donation to the Federer Fund.

I think this strategy is better than charging people for buying a mini-book or putting ads on my blog. Not that there's anything wrong with those strategies. I just think it would be more consistent with the theme of my blog to appeal to people's altruistic side. Sort of a reciprocity thing.

I could even do a YouTube video where I charm people into making donations. I think I'm much more convincing in person. I could video myself looking sad because I'm watching Federer play on my low definition small screen TV from thousands of miles away.

I mean, if you had a chance to see shots like this one in person, wouldn't you do whatever it takes to make that happen?

No comments: