Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving

There was a time when I questioned whether miracles really occur.  I could not understand why God would intervene in some people's lives but not others in a way that appealed to my sense of justice.  Now I realize that you don't have to understand why for something to be true.

As I await my parents' arrival, I can't help but remember when they came to my house for Thanksgiving two years ago.  At the time, my mom was obsessed with learning how to type to prepare for the dreaded electronic medical records implementation. 

My dad was still in the midst of the worst depression he'd ever experienced.  He was somewhat better than he had been two years prior, but still a shell of the larger-than-life person I had known all my life.  Still, in his compromised state he decided that he, too, would practice typing.  I was encouraged by this, because in his darker moments he barely had the motivation to exist.

Several hours later, he asked me for help.  When I looked at what he was working on, I saw that he had been trying to log on to his email account all of that time.  I wanted to cry.  But at the same time, I admired his determination to master the computer, even though he was no longer practicing medicine and did not have to worry about electronic medical records, and even though his cognitive abilities were greatly diminished. 

I write a lot of blog posts about my affinity for challenges.  It is definitely something that has been instilled in me by my parents, whose favorite motivational poster says "Don't quit."  On that day two years ago I was thankful that the depression had not destroyed my dad's fight.  He was still a warrior, albeit a wounded one.

Last year around Thanksgiving, somehow the depression completely lifted after 3 years, even though nothing had changed in his meds.  It's as though his personality finally broke through and he was exactly the way he had always been, which was essentially in a sustained hypomanic state.  It was truly like seeing someone come back to life. 

These days, he is constantly on FB, commenting on people's pictures and posting copies of every photo album my parents own.  In fact, the only reason he is not on FB right now is because he is on his way to Knoxville.

My dad's recovery is nothing short of a miracle, and every time I think of him I say a prayer of thanks--even though he tells me that I need to lose weight and gives me appetite suppressants.  Actually, he read that post, so now he tells me I look good.  So I'm thankful for blogs, too!

And wouldn't you know that my parents showed up right as I finish this blog post.  God has perfect timing. 

I even have a picture for you today.



7 comments:

Jennifer Frye said...

Great Picture Christy ~ I am glad your father is so much better ~ definitely something to be thankful for!!

Unknown said...

A perfect Thanksgiving post. Love the story of your dad's healing and your thankfulness.

Unknown said...

Thanks Jennifer! It truly is.

Unknown said...

Thanks Wendi!

Unknown said...

I'm loving your blog posts, this is a great pic of you with Dad in front of the Christmas tree. hope you don't mind me saying this but here in the UK it is supposed to be a bad omen to put up the Christmas tree before 13th December, I'm always tempted to dress the tree before 13th but always manage to wait untill the 12th day before Christmas...the tree must not be taken down before or after the night of the 5th January which is 11 nights after Christmas Day. So its up on the 13th & down on the 5th. Do you know the popular Christmas song "On the 1st day of Christmas my true love sent to me..." ? or ever heard of Twelth Night ? I have taken the liberty of adding a link below for you just in case you are interested in learning why we take down our tree on the 5th !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelfth_Night_(holiday)

Unknown said...

I was never sure if Christmas was the 1st day or the 12th.

Unknown said...

I've been too stressed to put my decorations up but I will probably do it before the 13th :)