At first I thought, no big deal. I'll just start exercising, since I never did. But I continued to gain weight. So then I thought, I'll just exercise every day and watch what I eat. Still gained weight, but more slowly. Finally, I resorted to obsessing about being fat 24-7, exercising every day, and watching what I ate. Again, very slow weight gain plus a lot of suffering. Maybe my metabolism started slowing down at 23.
Ironically, all of that time that I was gaining weight, I was still pretty thin. Until I reached 40. Now I look like I thought I did all of those years that I obsessed about being fat. I know I'm not fat, but I've gained enough weight that my dad told me that I needed to eat less and he mailed me some appetite suppressants. And I would still like to lose weight, although I'm not as motived as I was when I was younger.
I specialize in eating disorders so I never do fad diets, starve myself, throw up, or anything else that would make me a poor role model. Plus I love food. So here are the middle-aged strategies I've tried for weight loss, based on effectiveness:
- Buy a gym membership and never use it. I know a lot of people do this, but I obsess about money and I used to go to the gym every day, so I really thought it might work for me.
- Obsess all day about exercising and when you get home fall asleep on the couch instead.
- Try to eat the recommended 1500 calories for weight loss and then binge at the end of the day because you're starving.
- Stare at your gut in the mirror every time you go to the bathroom.
- Eat fast food for dinner because you hate grocery shopping and cooking.
- Play tennis as many times a week as your body will allow.
- Use a pedometer and obsess about getting steps.
- Don't look in the mirror.
- Don't look at any pictures or videos of yourself and only take head shots.
- Look at pictures of other people your age who have gained weight so that you realize that this is just a part of getting older.
- Cut 500 calories out of your 3,000 calorie diet.
- Go on the GERD diet where you have to cut out all of the things you love to eat and avoid eating 3 hours before bedtime and before exercising.