Monday, December 30, 2013

Moms

I watched the Secret Life of Walter Mitty on Christmas (Warning: Spoiler Alert!).  In addition to the theme of what it means to live a full life, I also liked the more subtle theme about how mom's save the day.

For example, it is the mom's cake that is used as currency for passage into forbidden territories. The mom's piano is sold to cover Mitty's worldly adventures.  The mom's photograph of the piano leads Mitty to Sean O'Connell.  And ultimately, it is the mom's rescue of the wallet that allows us to find out what the shot was on negative 25.

Yes, we want a life filled with risks and adventures.  But these risks and adventures are often made possible thanks to the home base that mom's provide through their more mundane, everyday activities.

My mom is a superhero.  While I was home for Christmas, she hosted our Christmas Eve party. She cooked every day.  She went to work on Thursday and Friday--as a physician, no less--while the rest of us lounged around the house.  She carefully packed up our food in ice as my brothers and I left for home, one by one.  The only gift she asked for was that we all come home for Christmas.  This is the only gift she ever asks for, regardless of the occasion.

But there are disadvantages to having a superhero for a mom.  It's impossible to live up to the example that she has set.  She often does know best, and I hate being wrong.  She is aware of her superhero status and takes every opportunity to remind me of it.  But I guess she has earned her bragging rights, and then some.

Often it is when children become parents themselves that they fully appreciate all that their moms have done for them.  I do not have children and do not plan on having any unless it is through divine intervention.  So the best I can do is to practice gratitude for all the big and small things that my mom has done to help me become the person I am today.

So this blog is dedicated to her, and to moms everywhere.


3 comments:

robyn said...

Love your Mom, sometimes they leave us too early.

Unknown said...

What a great picture an moving story of your relationship with your mother. She sounds like an amazing woman, Quite like yourself.

Unknown said...

Thanks Nelly. She is pretty amazing.