Sunday, April 13, 2014

2014 Blog for Mental Health Project


“I pledge my commitment to the Blog for Mental Health 2014 Project. I will blog about mental health topics not only for myself, but for others. By displaying this badge, I show my pride, dedication, and acceptance for mental health. I use this to promote mental health education in the struggle to erase stigma.”  
A Canvas of the Minds

Sometimes we make the most important decisions in our lives without consciously knowing why we made them at the time.

I knew that I wanted to become a psychologist since I was in high school. At the time I wasn't fully aware of being depressed in the clinical sense. Being anxious was so much a part of my personality that I didn't think I had an anxiety disorder. And I definitely wasn't aware of any mental illness in my family. I had no idea at the time that depression, bipolar disorder, and anxiety would impact every aspect of my life--in both positive and negative ways.

It's probably not surprising that I have been negatively affected by mental illness. But as I write this post, I realize that there have been positive things about it, too. I have learned the most important lessons in life through suffering and loss.

Even as a therapist, when I heard clients make comments about how they had a bad week, it didn't fully register how horrible that week was for them. In part because clients don't elaborate unless you ask them to. Unless they are certain that you really want to know. And because they are embarrassed about it. Ashamed, even. But after going through my worst depression 5 years ago, I have much more compassion when clients make these offhanded comments.

I admit, during that period there were times when suicide would cross my mind. But there were two things that kept me from seriously entertaining it. One is that my dad would be devastated, and I feared he would never recover if I went through with it. 

The other reason is that if I took my own life, it would undermine everything I ever said to my clients about how pain passes. That one day when they look back they will realize how strong they were at the time. That they will learn lessons from their suffering that it takes some people a lifetime to learn. How can you believe anything your therapist said if she committed suicide? That would be the ultimate betrayal.

So I spent months willing myself to get better.  I went back to therapy, started meds again, meditated and prayed, and forced myself to play tennis and spend time with friends. And I did get better. And everything I said about realizing my strength, becoming more compassionate, and acquiring wisdom were all true. I would have never chosen depression, but we usually don't choose the experiences that teach us the most about life.

People often ask me how I can listen to client's problems all day long. In all honesty, I can't imagine what else I would do for a living. It feels more like psychology chose me.  And when I hear a client's story, I always have hope that together we can change the plot for the better. After all, I always root for the underdog. I am the eternal optimist. And I never back down from a challenge.

There was a time when I would never have told this story about my struggles with depression and anxiety to my students or clients. Or even friends and family. But now I want to share it with the world, because every act of courage benefits someone else. My blog is proof of that.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you've joined the Blog for Mental Health Project! I enjoy reading your posts :)

Unknown said...

Thanks! I found out about it by reading your blog :)

Amy Purdy said...

This is beautifully written. Thank you for sharing your story, and for all you do for so many.

Unknown said...

Thanks Amy!

Anonymous said...

Losing you would devastate more than just your Dad. Your whole family would suffer endlessly along with the unlimited number of people you touch outside our family. I am happy that you feel comfortable sharing your story so that others may benefit from it. Your brother, Rome

Unknown said...

Thanks, Baby Bro!

Anonymous said...

I look forward to reading more of what you have to say..you write beautifully.

Unknown said...

Thanks ocdtalk!