Tuesday, October 22, 2013

I'm offically a writer!

So as a part of this whole book writing thing, I thought I would try to get a job as a freelance writer.  For some reason it never occurred to me that there might be jobs related to writing in psychology that I might actually get paid for; up until now everything I've written has been for free.  I guess that's why psychologists don't make much money--we're not very business-minded.

Apparently in order to secure a book deal you are supposed to build a platform.  From what I can tell this means trying to develop an audience so that I can convince an agent that people will read my book.  Hence, this blog--which I love--and now this writing job, where I'll be writing short articles on the internet answering people's questions about relationship advice.  Luckily the application just asked for my credentials and not my relationship history!

I have to admit, I don't really understand where these articles will be published because I don't go online to look for relationship advice.  I guess I can tell you once I publish one and then everyone needs to go to that site and read it and write to someone--I'll have to find that out, too--and tell them how this is the best piece of advice that you have ever read on relationships and you would like to see more articles by this insightful and talented writer.

In fact, you can also go to all your friends, family members, and random people you have friended on FB and tell them about how awesome this blog is--how you've learned that you're not crazy, or that we're all a little crazy, so you don't really have to feel bad about it.

I also bought a book on how to turn a blog into a book so after I read it I'll let you know about anything else I need you to do to help me get my book published.

Thank you in advance for your help!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I always enjoy your writing, it makes me feel like I am physically closer to you than I actually am.