Sunday, July 6, 2014

Motivation

In the Wimbledon final today, the commentators were discussing how Federer loves winning more than he hates losing, which is why he can shake off losses and stay motivated. However, in Andre Agassi's autobiography Open, Agassi repeatedly states that he hated tennis, but he hated losing more, and that mindset worked pretty well for him. 

It got me thinking: is it better to be motivated by love or hate?

There have been times in my life when I've been more motivated by hate than love. Even though I did well in school, I didn't love it. I just hated failing, and anything less than a B was failing. So I mostly got A's, but I can't say that it brought me much joy to get them.

I used to be obsessed with my weight when I was in my 20's and 30's, so I was much more disciplined back then about exercising and watching what I ate. I weigh more now, which doesn't thrill me, but I can't say that I was happier when I was thinner. Every now and then I will get into that obsessive mindset again, but then I decide that I'm just going to stop looking in the mirror so much. Because even if it's an effective weight loss strategy, it's just too painful to hate my body.

I know I said in a previous post how it's more important for me to play with friends than it is to win, but I have to admit, losing is starting to get to me. I haven't had a single win in either of my mixed doubles teams this year. Still, losing hasn't diminished my love for the game or my motivation to get better. I can't say whether I love winning or hate losing more. I think it's more accurate to say that I love competing and I love the fight, and that is all the motivation that I need.

Plus, win or lose, at the end of the day, you still get to have dinner with friends afterwards. And for me, food is the greatest motivator of all.

Here is a picture of my only winning team this season. Which I am not captaining, of course.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are a seriously deep thinker, ruminator (all of which I relate to, trust me) and you bring great insight. I guess most people would say (cheese-ily?) that the "journey" should be the most important thing of all. Swell :) I always worry about athletes who are terrified of losing. Who loathe it. This is perfectionism of the accepted kind, but it is a form of self-loathing. I know this, being a recovering perfectionist as I am. I think your post says a lot about self-esteem. We all struggle with our levels of it. No one seems immune. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Abby! I think you do have to be a perfectionist to be a top athlete, and there are definitely costs for it. I think it's sad that fans and the media also think someone should retire when they start losing. What's wrong with playing just because you love it?

Unknown said...

Thanks Cindy!