Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Year's Resolutions

I don't ordinarily give specific psychological advice in my blog, but since I think New Year's resolutions are an important opportunity for personal growth, I'm breaking that pattern.

The #1 New Year's resolution every year is to lose weight. I'm not advocating that you give up this goal, but I encourage you to add goals that will help you move closer to the person that you want to be--ways to live according to your values.

If you've been reading my blog, my resolutions will come as no surprise.  They are to:
  1. Blog 2-3x/week.
  2. Ask for help when I need it.
  3. Say yes to what I want and no to what I don't want.
The biggest problem with New Year's resolutions is that they are usually forgotten by February. But not this year! Here are some tips for making the most out of your resolutions:
  1. Make your goals public. Tell your friends and family.  Tweet, post, and blog about it. Whatever will keep you accountable.
  2. Use positive language.  Rather than having the goal of losing weight, reframe it as eating healthier, exercising more, learning a new sport.
  3. Make specific goals.  Make a plan for how you will exercise more: I'll go to the gym 3x/week, I'll take tennis lessons.
  4. Focus on the process.  Life is more about how we choose to live it than the end result.  Most of our lives are spent in the process; the outcome is just a pit stop.
  5. Take stock of your progress.  I suggest that you do it periodically throughout the year. At the end of the year you can decide if you want to recommit to this goal.
If you feel discouraged about your progress this past year, I leave you with one of my favorite inspirational poems. My favorite lines are: "You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and stars; you have a right to be here.  Whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."

So take heart that you are on the right path, even if it seems that you are lost.  And take this opportunity to set an intention for the direction that you want your life to take.

2 comments:

Amy Purdy said...

I'm glad I came across this tonight! I am usually not one for making New Year's resolutions, but I do have some important goals I want to dedicate this year to, so these are great pointers to keep me on track.

Unknown said...

Then I'm glad you came across this too! Feel free to let me know if it helped.